Station 17 is located just south of Gibbs Rd. on S. 52st. St. The station faces east.
"Station 17 was built in 1954 and was originally Shawnee Township's Station #3. The station was built in response to the 1951 flood and the citizens displaced because of high flood waters. The area in Turner known as Highland Crest, as well as the Oak Grove area, were built and gave temporary shelter for displaced citizens from Armourdale and Argentine. The Shawnee Township saw the need to place another station to accommodate the growth of population in these areas when it became apparent that the housing was not going to be just temporary. After holding a vote within the township, a bond was passed allowing the new station to be built.
Just like the other townships, this station was made up of volunteers. The Shawnee Township, as well as the other townships, were, at times, called to respond with KCKFD. As reported from a former Shawnee Township firefighter, one of the more memorable mutual aid responses was the Southwest Blvd Fire in 1959. Shawnee Township Fire Dept. was called in to help after the original explosion. They were called in to give KCKFD and KCFD breaks and to help monitor the fire.
This station served the Turner area until 1967 when Kansas City, KS annexed the township. Now this station serves Kansas City Kansas as Station #17."
- Provided by Historical Society of the Kansas City Kansas Fire Department
2004 HME SFO/Boise Mobile Equipment
Serial #: Unknown
Ex: KCKFD Pumper 8
Former Pumper 17
2005 HME SFO/Boise Mobile Equipment
Serial #: 1732569